Advantages of Gluten-free diets
What you need to know about gluten-free diets.
Gluten-free diets seem to have become something of a trend in recent years: more and more people prefer to use gluten-free products because they are supposed to be healthier. But is that really true?
There are people who suffer from gluten intolerance, so-called celiac disease; their stomach can not handle the gluten contained in many grains. That’s why they get sick when they eat too much. If you suspect that you do not tolerate gluten well, you should check with a doctor.
Characteristics for gluten intolerance
- stomach pain
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Drowsiness and tiredness
You must also distinguish between a real intolerance, so celiac disease, the so-called gluten sensitivity, and wheat allergy. These three variants are considered three different clinical concepts.
Gluten and the different forms of allergy
Gluten is a protein found in many kinds of cereal. When it comes into contact with water, it gets sticky – that’s why it’s also called “white gluten-free”. When baking, it binds the individual ingredients to a smooth dough.
Gluten food includes:
- Oats (not in all varieties)
Anyone who suffers from true celiac disease and eats gluten suffers an autoimmune reaction that attacks the intestinal mucosa. The immune system reacts to gluten with too many antibodies, which harm the small intestine and eventually even the whole body. Therefore, people with true celiac disease should make sure that they do not eat any gluten.
At a gluten sensitivity, the immune system is not attacked. The body reacts only negatively with the mentioned symptoms on the intake. Those affected must find out for themselves which types of cereals and what amounts of gluten their own body tolerates.
In a wheat allergy, the body only reacts allergic to the protein that is contained in the wheat. Other gluten-containing cereals can be consumed by those concerned without hesitation.
The advantages and disadvantages of gluten-free nutrition
If your doctor has diagnosed you with an intolerance, then it makes sense to dispense with certain foods. If you change your diet, you will feel noticeably healthier after only a few weeks of gluten-free nutrition.
In the meantime, there are many gluten-free alternatives in supermarkets. These are labeled as gluten-free. You can also find gluten-free alternatives in many restaurants.
If you do not have any intolerance and want to do without gluten, then maybe you should reconsider this decision. There is no evidence that the consumption of gluten is harmful to healthy people.
In gluten-free products, the missing gluten protein is often replaced by more fat and sugar. The foods therefore often contain even more calories and less good nutrients.
Advantages of eating gluten-free:
- Lowers blood pressure
- Reduce cholesterol and triglycerides
- Reduces the risk of thrombosis and stroke
- Promotes hand-eye coordination, mental agility and brain development and vision of the fetus
- Contributes to the immune system
- It is beneficial against inflammatory disorders and injuries, allergies, asthma, cancer, psoriasis and bone health
- Increase hair and skin health
- Source of high biological value proteins
- It has all the essential amino acids and does not contain gluten
- Vitamins of group B (B1, B2, B3 and B12) prevent the formation of plaque deposits in arterial walls
- Excellent source of minerals but does not contain sodium, which is related to high blood pressure
- Its antioxidants fight aging and degenerative diseases of age
- Soluble fiber slows the absorption of glucose and cholesterol in the blood and increases the feeling of fullness
- Insoluble fiber prevents constipation, diverticulosis and colon cancer
Delicious gluten-free alternatives
In the beginning, you may feel like you can not eat anything if you have to do without gluten.That is not so! There are many delicious alternatives to replace gluten-containing foods. If you like to bake yourself, you can simply use gluten-free flour in the future.
In principle, you can prepare anything that you can bake with wheat flour as a gluten-free alternative. Although these alternatives may taste a bit different and may have an unfamiliar texture, you will soon discover that they are still delicious. If you like to eat bread, you can simply bake gluten-free bread yourself.
Post a Comment